#11: Asteroid Mining, Design Patents and How to Reach Your Goals Faster with John Marzo (Part 1/2)
Part 1 of 2 with John Marzo. John explains his bold 40-year vision of creating an asteroid mining company, his lessons learned from past failed ventures, getting a patent for his revolutionary dust pan design and how to get to your ultimate destination in life without problems and distractions.
Part 1 of 2 with John Marzo
John explains his bold 40-year vision of creating an asteroid mining company, his lessons learned from past failed ventures and how one of them was killed by Bumble. We also talk about his experience of getting a patent for his revolutionary dust pan design and John explains his mental model for how he views life and getting to where you want to get in life by avoiding problems and distractions to keep moving forward to your ultimate destination in life.
About John Marzo
John is a fanatical problem seeker who wants to change the world by bridging the gap between scientific design and innovative business. He's a serial entrepreneur and currently owns several businesses ranging from e-commerce to SaaS and is constantly looking for new markets and problems to solve. He holds a patent for a revolutionary dust-pan design that doesn't leave that annoying line of dirt behind. He is also an ex-aerospace engineering student who switched over to study industrial engineering where he earned his degree at Ryerson University.
Connect with John on Instagram @johnmeetsworld
If you enjoy the podcast,
would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts
It takes less than 60 seconds, and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests.
Stalk Josh on the Internet:
- Tim Cook taking over Apple as an Industrial Engineer
- Asteroid Mining
- Planetary Resources
- DSI — Deep Space Industries
- Peter Diamandis
- Mining Asteroids with Fungus
- Revolutionizing Advertising on the Radio
- John's River and the Rocks analogy for moving through life toward your goals
- Being a specialist vs. a generalist
- How to "bank" business ideas for later
- How to listen to the market and quit or press forward
- How to navigate the current VR market (post-COVID)
- The Prisoner's Dilemma (related to business in harsh markets)
- John's first business (selling candy in elementary school)
- The DMZ
- John's first social media company in university
- How John's first company was killed by Bumble
- Taking emotion out of your ventures
- Learning from failure
- Where formal rigorous education fits into certain professions
- Treating post-secondary school as a litmus test
- Esch Awards at Ryerson
- John's revolutionary dust pan patent
- The patent design and application process
- Design patent vs. Utility Patent
- Basics of how to draw a patent
- When and why you should submit a patent
Thanks for coming this far! if you're reading this, it is no accident. The universe brought you to this corner of the internet for a reason, and you're on the right track. I already know that you're an amazing person and I can't wait to connect with you!